- This Instruction is part of the Communication Layer. Learn about Layers.
- This Instruction will help you setup a Minimum Grade of security and ease with logging into your tools and services. Learn about Grades.
As you follow this Instruction, use the Table of Contents in the hamburger menu from the top-right to navigate quickly.
To successfully complete this Instruction, you'll need:
- A phone, which uses iOS (by Apple) or a phone using Android (such as the Pixel phones sold by Google).
- A phone number, to receive a text (SMS) message or phone call.
- Access to Apple's App Store or Google's Play Store.
By the end of this Instruction, you will:
- Have successfully set up Signal on a phone
- Be sending and receiving messages and files safely.
When we use words in a way that is unfamiliar, come back here then click through to an explainer in the Glossary.
Let's get started
A. Get Signal on to your phone
Get the Signal client on your phone by installing the app. You'll use the Signal app to access Signal services.
Visit https://signal.org/install using a browser on your phone. The browser will take you to:
- Apple's App Store, if you're using an iPhone
- Google's Play Store, if you're using an Android phone