- This is a Gifdocs Instruction. It's currently not available as a Basic. Learn about Types.
- This Instruction is part of the Communication Layer. Learn about Layers.
- This Instruction will help you setup a Minimum Grade of security and ease. Learn about Grades.
Table of Contents
1. To successfully complete this Instruction... 2. By the end of this Instruction... 3. Helpful words 4. Let's get started A. Find the trusted source for the Signal Desktop app B. Get Signal on to your desktop C. (macOS only) Mount the downloaded disk image D. Install Signal Desktop E. Get QR code for linking Signal Desktop with Signal on the phone F. On your phone, prepare the Signal app for linking G. Scan the QR code displayed on Signal Desktop with Signal on the phone H. Let the clients pair and sync (this could take time) I. Make messages expire and disappear after one week J. Start the file attachment tool K. Attach a file L. Send a document through Signal, with expiration enabled M. Disable expiring messages N. Keep Signal Desktop updated 5. Recommended next step 6. Meta
As you follow this Instruction, use the Table of Contents in the hamburger menu from the top right to navigate quickly.
To successfully complete this Instruction, you'll need:
- To have Signal set up on a phone. Signal Desktop must be linked with either Signal Android or Signal iOS to send and receive messages. Signal messages are synchronized with Signal on your mobile phone. You can use this quickstart to fulfill this requirement.
- A laptop, running either macOS (10.10 and above) or Windows 64-bit (7, 8, 8.1 and 10).
By the end of this Instruction, you'll have:
Set up Signal on a desktop device, which you can use to send and receive messages and files safely.
Click to see an explainer for each word in the Glossary.
Let's get started
A. Find the trusted source for the Signal Desktop app
Get the Signal client on your desktop by installing the app. You'll use the Signal app to access Signal services.
Do a search for
signal in your browser.